Scotland: Muslims complain of being targeted by police

Scottish Muslims are complaining of being unfairly targeted by police for no apparent reason other than being Muslims, reported the Sunday Herald on Sunday, June 1.


"I couldn't understand why we were being investigated over a year later," said businessman Saheed Sadiq who joined a 9-strong shooting party to Kypeside Farm, an activity center near Lesmahagow in Lanarkshire, in November 2006.


A year later, he was informally questioned by two policemen at his home about the trip.


"It's made me uneasy, and I look at everything I do and say now in case it is picked up wrongly. I won't be going clay pigeon shooting again," he said.


"I have a beard because of my faith, but it doesn't make me want to commit a 9/11."


The trip organizer was also quizzed by the police.


"They wanted the names of my family and friends and my thoughts on Afghanistan, Iraq and what I would do if I encountered an extremist at my mosque," said the 29-year-old organizer.


"I replied that I didn't think I would go to them because they were so ignorant, but would speak to the imam."


The organizer was told by his solicitor that "it was no coincidence several men were standing trial for involvement in a terror camp in the Lake District".


"It hadn't even crossed my mind what we could be seen as terrorist activity and I found it very sinister."


Marginalized


Muslim leaders warn that the police practices are pushing Scottish Muslims into marginalization.


"There is much hesitation in joining in with civic religious activity for fear of crossing the police radar," Osama Saeed, chief executive of the Scottish Islamic Foundation, said in a letter to Strathclyde's chief constable Stephen House.


He said many Scottish Muslims now think twice about practicing their beliefs for fear that police will spoil their lives.


"I hope you will agree that, from a counter-terror perspective, if someone is angry about foreign policy, that it is better for them to join with democratic public work than to be left to whatever devices may be on the internet," added Saeed.


"It makes our job of engaging young Muslims harder."


There are 30,000 Muslims in the Strathclyde region making up 1.5 percent of the population.


A recent government poll found that half of Scots see Muslims as a threat to the country's culture and identity.


A Financial Times opinion poll has also showed recently that Britain is the most suspicious nation of its Muslims.


Britain's Muslims, estimated at some 2 million, have taken the full brunt of anti-terror laws since the 7/7 terrorist attacks on London underground system.


Muslims have repeatedly complained of maltreatment by police for no apparent reason other than being Muslim.


Continuous police crackdowns, searches and arrests have entrenched fear in the minority that it is being targeted.


Source: Islam Online (English)

No comments: