Germany: ‘I don’t feel at home here, it’s clear I’ll remain a foreigner’

Germany: ‘I don’t feel at home here, it’s clear I’ll remain a foreigner’



Via The Local:

How does an immigrant define home? After living in Germany for over 40 years, Sahes Tascioglu finds answers in a Turkish proverb. Trained as a social worker, she is now the owner of a popular bridal-wear store.

Although Tascioglu moved to Germany at age 14, she has chosen to remain a Turkish citizen because non-EU immigrants are prohibited from holding dual-citizenship in Germany. According to the Foreign Ministry, of the “approximately three million people of Turkish origin” currently residing in Germany, only 700,000 have decided to take German citizenship.

"I don't feel that I'm at home here, that's clear. I'm a foreigner and I'll remain a foreigner. It's always in the back of mind, to return but I can't say. I'm still here, and I'm still in charge of the store. And as long as I can work, by all means, I'll be here. In Turkey we have a saying: 'where I feel satisfied is my home."