Dresden: Algerian accused of synagogue desecration

Dresden: Algerian accused of synagogue desecration

Dresden police announced on Monday that they have found a suspect in the defacement of a synagogue that took place two days ahead of the 71st anniversary of the Nazi Kristallnacht pogrom this month.

The 39-year-old Algerian man is accused of daubing swastikas and anti-Jewish statements along several metres of a wall outside the synagogue on November 7, the Saxony state office of criminal investigation said.

Eyewitness accounts and surveillance videos helped them reconstruct the crime and apprehend the Dresden resident on Saturday.

"But there were no grounds for arrest," spokesman Christian Avenarius said.

The man is not known to have previously committed politically motivated crimes.


Source: The Local (English)

No comments: