Netherlands: Opinions on anti-Wilders movement

Compare the following:

Expatica: "Anti-Wilders movement a good idea"

AD: Netherlands divided about movement against Wilders

---

42.9% of Dutch think a counter movement against Wilders is a good idea.  42.3% think it isn't.  This according to a survey of about 500 Dutch 18-65 years old by Survey Sampling International.

Opponents sent threat-mails yesterday to the national anti-racism group Nederland Bekent Kleur (Netherlands recognizes color), who initiated the movement against Wilders.

About 75% of the Dutch think Wilder's statements, such as banning the Koran, lead to tensions in society.  More women than men think so (78% vs. 67%).

Nederland Bekent Kleur will not discuss the message and threat mails they got, but say that they will lodge a complaint by the police for all cases.  The group also got support, with about 200 mails.

Wilders says he feels supported by the results and that there is obviously a very big group who agree with him.  20% of the Dutch, that's enormous support.  Wilders also questioned the number of people who opposed him and says that a large part are people who are afraid of the reactions of the Muslim community if, for example, he comes out with his movie about the Koran.

Source: AD (Dutch)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am Dutch by birth and I am pro anti wilders. He is not the voice of the people. And I am ashamed to say I am Dutch when he is on CNN representing my native country. I am sorry to see that anyone from the street can assume to represent a country's opinion. The man is simply dangerous; can we just get him in protective custody in a psychiatric ward?
In Holland you can claim someone if he is a danger to the public order.
And in this case; this man is.
I rest my case.

Anonymous said...

This appears to be out of date. Geert Wilders is by far the top Dutch politician. I am not too aware of all his political views but if he anti-islamic he has my sympathy if not my support.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22402588/

Esther said...

Hi anonymous,

This article is slightly misleading. The NOS poll was composed of two parts, a survey of the parliamentary press, and an internet poll. Each group chose five people, and then each of the five got points based on their position. Geert Wilders, being the only one on both lists, got the overall #1 spot.

His rank was:
#2 on the internet poll with 10.36%
#2 on the press poll with 9%

Since besides Alexander Pechtold (D66), who got ~30% of the press votes, everybody got ~10% or less, my general impression is that there wasn't a real favorite.

NOS survey (Dutch)

Nell said...

I was born and raised in The Netherlands. If Wilders gets too many votes on the next election, I am out of here. I will emigrate, change my nationality and say "fuck you".

I am Dutch - but my grandfathers were both foreign. One came in from the Dutch colony in Indonesia (which happens to make my skin just a little darker), and the other came here during World War II from Poland to defend the Dutch nation alongside Britain. Wilders' ignorant attitude towards other cultures and multi-cultural principles pisses me off beyond words.

If you read through the goals his party has set, how can one not freak out? This is not the county I was raised to be proud of. The majority seems to favour him - but he will NEVER be my prime minister, and I will never pay taxes to his stupidity. Ever. His points are so stupid that they are even too lame to argue. Because unlike him, I'm actually educated in history and international affairs, and there is just no way to even debate at his level. Ignorance is blind.

He wants to restrict the growth of any religions other than Christianity or Judaism. That's funny, because I'm pagan. I guess I'll become illegal, too. Good thing I'll be happy to leave if it ever gets that far.