Norway: Who's responsible for Palestinian suffering?

It depends which newspaper you read. 

Siv Jensen, a Norwegian politician was caught in a rocket attack in the Israeli border town of Sderot.  Here's Aftenposten's take on it, in English:

One thing is that I experienced this, but I gained new sympathy for the people who have to live with these threats and fears every single day," she said.

Jensen noted that the Israelis she has spoken with are also aware that "thousands and thousands of innocent Palestinians" also suffer as a result of the fighting between the Israelis and the radical Palestinian group Hamas.


Here's Aftenposten's take on it, in Norwegian (with my translation):

"One thing is that I experienced this, but I gained a new sympathy for the people who must live with these threats and fears every day.  This is part of the conflict in the Middle East that doesn't get so much column space in the Norwegian media."

(..)

"The Israelis I've spoken with didn't express any hate against the Palestinians as a people.  It's Hamas and their terrorist acts they want to stop.  Also Israel realizes that there are thousands and thousands of innocent Palestinians who suffer for this."

---

Apparently, Aftenposten understood 'this' to mean 'the fighting between Israel and Hamas', rather than 'Hamas and their terrorist acts', but in another interview to Nettavisen Jensen was much more emphatic:

Siv Jensen told Nettavisen that despite the dramatics she saw the whole thing as a useful experience.

"I have seen with my own eyes how Hamas terrorizes - both on the Israeli and Palestinian side.  I have a lot of sympathy with all who live under daily rocket attacks."

No comments: