In the past year there have been three cases in Sweden where parents were suspected of pushing their daughters off from a balcony.
According to several police and experts in Svenska Dagbladet, these are often families who live according to traditions which restrict their daughter's freedom. The police have a hard time figuring out whether the daughter jumped, was forced to jump or was pushed out.
Following is a list of cases where women fell off a balcony in the past year:
- February, 2007 - A 16 year old girl was seriously injured after falling from a balcony in Nyköping. The girl's father was suspected of a crime, but the investigation was closed.
- March, 2007 - A 16 year old girl died after falling from a 4th floor balcony in Karlstad. Police suspected murder but after 3.5 months of investigation classified the case as suicide or accident.
- June 5, 2007 - A 17 year old girl was seriously injured in Mönsterås after falling from the 3rd floor. Witnesses said she had been pushed, but when she regained consciousness she said she jumped on her own.
- September 8, 2007 - 29 year old woman died after falling from a balcony on the 4th floor in Kristianstad.
- October 29, 2007 - A 14 year old was seriously injured after falling from a balcony in Eskilstuna, but later regained consciousness. Her parents were arrested on suspicion of pushing her off, but were released after through questioning of both parents and the girl, since no crime could be proved.
- November, 2007 - A 25 year old woman fell from a balcony in Södermalm in Stockholm, suffering life-threatening injuries. A man that fell or jumped at the same time was arrested as suspect. Police think the woman was trying to escape after being locked in.
- January, 2008 - a girl was seriously injured when she tried to flee through the family's balcony in Södertälje. A neighbor said that girl was locked at home for several days. The fall was classified as an accident.
- January, 2008 - a 17 year old girl was killed falling from the 4th floor in Eksjö. The police is considering this an accident - the girl probably slipped and fell over the balcony.
- February, 2008 - a 16 year old girl killed falling from a 4th floor balcony in Malmö. Two relatives who were in the apartment at the time were arrested on suspicion of murder. The police are not ruling out honor murder, as well as an accident or suicide.
Sources: Dagens Nyheter, Expressen, Aftonbladet 1, 2 (Swedish)
See also: Malmö: Girl killed, honor murder suspected