Quote: On Muslim asylum seekers in church

Quote: On Muslim asylum seekers in church


------------


"I don't understand why they don't seek shelter in the mosque.  I don't understand why the church council of Brorson Church don't ask why they don't seek shelter in the mosque.  It's very odd for me that Muslims, who belong to a people who persecute Christians, come and seek shelter in a Christian Church."

"We're in a situation where most of the Christian asylum seekers who come to Denmark from Iraq get asylum, because the Iraqis persecute them."

- Birthe Rønn Hornbech (DA), Liberal Party, Danish Minister for Refugees, Immigrants and Integration and for Ecclesiastical Affairs


------------


"We sought refuge in the church because we feel safe here."

"It's inconsequential for me whether it's a church or a mosque.  The Church is God's home.  A place one can come in contact with God regardless of religion.  And that's enough for me."

"In Denmark's it's the tradition that one respects the ground of the church and we hope the police also does so we can stay in the country."

"I've lived in an asylum center in Denmark for nine years. I can spend the rest of my life here in the church. In any case it's better than being in Iraq."

- H-Muhammad Jaaf (DA), one of about 60 Iraqi asylum seekers currently protesting their deportation, by seeking shelter in Brorson Church


------------

See also: Copenhagen: Iraqis seek shelter in church

No comments: