Noway: Krekar press conference tapes published

Noway: Krekar press conference tapes published


Last week Mullah Krekar held a press conference for the foreign press in Norway. The foreign press were expected to ask their questions in Norwegian while Krekar answered in Arabic via translator.

Norwegian broadcaster NRK and Aftenposten both published a translation/summary of Krekar's statements. NRK's is an independent translation. The Norwegian security service is meanwhile working on getting a full transcript.


This article was prepared by the Islam in Europe blog - islamineurope.blogspot.com

The press conference was divided into several segments, which were posted online. The following is based on both summaries, and is probably a bit out of order. I might update the post as more quotes are published.


---------



Part 1: Krekar feels unjustly treated

Krekar arrives at the pres conference and thanks those who are there for their interest in his case.


He say that he doesn't wish to have contact with the Norwegian media because he thinks that he didn't receive any sympathy from them.


Krekar also tells of how he feels unjustly treated by the Norwegian state and deprived of his rights, that he's been attacked six times, but was never convicted though he'd been charged more than 40 times.


Part 2: Krekar tells of his Norwegian enemies and threatens Erna Solberg


Here Krekar tells of the three enemies he has in Norway: the political right wing, the intelligence service and the media. He also says who he thinks was behind the shooting at his apartment. Krekar thinks it was the Kurds, though nobody was suspected or arrested after the shooting.


He then threatens Erna Solberg. To the question of what he thinks might be the consequences if he's deported from Norway, Krekar answers:


"My death will cost Norwegian society. Erna Solberg says Mullah Krekar should be deported from Norway and thrown to his death. Then she must pay a high price. Whoever takes her life, I don't know. It can be Ansar al-Islam, al-Qaeda, my children or relatives. But she will pay the price regardless."


To a direct question on whether the threat means that somebody will come to Norway and kill the person or persons responsible, Krekar answers:


"I say this with full awareness: if I die, the person who's the cause of it will suffer the same."


Q: You mean that somebody will be sent from Norway or abroad to kill?


"I don't know how. I don't have a plan for this, but my supporters won't let this pass so easily."


He ends by saying that his life isn't hopeless.


"Had it been, then I would have carried out a suicide attack myself," says Krekar.

Part 3: Krekar tells of the attack on the apartment, and his own backgrund - his wife has both the man's and woman's role at home


He explains why he thinks it wasn't Arabs or Westerners, but rather Kurds, who were behind the shooting.


Krekar also boasts of the police efforts in the initial part of the investigation after the attack against him.


Krekar also speaks of his background, education, work, his interest in languages and books, that he'd read over 4,000 books and wrote over 40 books.


Also also says that he headed a party which was bigger than the Conservative Party, then he tells of how his wife has both the man's and woman's roles at home, since he doesn't work and earn money.


In this clip he also tells of how he wanted to move to Cuba and become a communist and why he praises Osama bin Laden.



"People praise sports stars, the Jews praise Sharon, why shouldn't we Muslims get to praise bin Laden?" Krekar asked rhetorically.


"One of the good things with Islam is that we describe things as they are. My description of Osama bin Laden is based on who Osama bin Laden is, a good, brave, Muslim and just man."


"The West pesters us with Palestine, hijab and the cartoons, so we can get even by speaking about bin Laden, to give them a lesson and pester them a bit."


After the hour and a half long meeting with the foriegn press in Norway, Krekar also defende his right to praise bin Laden.


"It's not to provoke. It's also not to provoke when Norway gives Obama the peace prize. You say your opinion, we say our opinion."


Part 4: Krekar wished to go on the ship which were going to Gaza with aid


Here Krekar answers why he as a Muslim wanted to participate in the convoy with relief items which was supposed to go to Gaza.


Krekar says he wanted to participated in fighting against the Jews with his own teeth.


He tells also of why he went back to North-Iraq several times in the past few years, the same area he escaped from.


Part 5: Krekar talks about living in Norway and about his family. He says that Norwegian soldiers can be killed, but he doesn't support terror attacks against civilians.


Here Krekar speaks again about the attack against his apartment.


"I think that the first attempt was well planned. It it will be repeated, it will be more difficult, because out opponents know that we're watching out better than before."


Krekar that those who attacked failed, and that nobody will succeed in getting him as long as the Norwegian state is not part of the planning. [ed: this means that Norway is now officially on notice as being responsible for his life, since if he dies, it must be Norway's fault]


Q: But a Palestinian in Norway was killed by the Mossad without the Norwegian state being involved?


"Everything is possible. I think the relationship between Norway and Israel is different than teh relationship between Norway and the PUK."


Q: Are you afraid they will succeed?


"I am not afraid, but am more careful now."


Krekar got questions on how he would have reacted if one of his children said they wanted to marry a Western non-Muslim.


"(laughter) I have four children. Two of them are married, so I hope I'll avoid getting into this situation. For boys it's not a problem marrying non-Muslims, but we try to maintain our traditions, our culture and our religion."


"My children will get to like like youth here, as I've lived as a youth in my country. I will not interfere in their way of life, they're good in school and make their own choices."


"Two of my children are studying to be doctors, one is studying Arabic and media and the youngest was born here in Norway and says "Pappa, I want to be like Ronaldo". I feel most sorry for him. He was seven when my case came up in court and he had fellow students coming with a newspaper to school with a picture of me and called me a terrorist."


Q: What happens with you when you become sick, as you don't have social security?


"I must be patient, as I was when I was in Kurdistan. I had a toothache for over two months before I found somebody I could trust to help me. Therefore I've become better at watching what I eat."


Q: Have you tried making contact with Norwegian politicians to tell them of the situation you're in?


"I think my case is well known. My laws tried to get to several solutions without success.


Q: What do you do during the day, since you can't work?


"I know several languages and teach in Arabic and Kurdish. Many want to learn it. I like to read and am on the internet a lot.


Q: The Norwegian government wants Krekar deported, what did they take away his passport?


"(Laughter) It's a joke. You give me the passport, I can travel out again and be killed in Mosul or wherever. But this isn't just a case for Norway, it's become a European case. They deport me, all of Europe will react. But what's strange is that while I sit here Norwegian women are giving out Bibles in Afghanistan."


Q: What do you think of the American government that wants you extradited?


"They're lying, they have a document that shows that Krekar isn't a problem in the US. I'm not wanted there, give me a visa and I'll go there voluntarily. But because of my beard they will arrest me and take me to the US as a prisoner and not as a free man."


Q: Are you still on the UN's terror list?


"Yes I am. Two days after I was acquitted in Norway, I was blacklisted. They tried to pressure Norway, but they didn't have enough to get me imprisoned. The legal system understood that it was a political game."


Q: Are you thankful to be in Norway?


"Naturally I am grateful for getting to come to Norway"


Krekar was then asked what he thinks should happen to Norwegian soldiers in Iraq.


"Today it's not Norwegians in Iraq, but anybody who contributed to occupying Iraq you can kill. If you were a Norwegian soldier and you went abroad it's naturally right that you can be killed. Every day when I speak with people on the phone I answer "you have a right to kill the Americans. You don't have a weapon, then throw your shoe at them and at all those who support the occupation in Iraq."


As for Afghanistan:


"And naturally, if you are a Norwegian in Meymaneh or Faryab where the Norwegian soldiers are, it's obviously proper to kill you."


Q: Do you support terror attacks in the US?


"I don't support any actions that kill civilians. It's only allowed to kill in a war zone."


Q: Do you know of Islam Net and their recruiting?


"No, I don't know of them. I don't have contact with mosques or Muslim organizations in Norway."


Krekar was asked whether he regrets anything he said or did in Norway.


To that Krekar answered that he doesn't regret anything, because he thinks he didn't wrong anyone.


Krekar was also asked why he came to Norway as a refugee if it's so bad here.


"I didn't choose to come to Norway," says Krekar and points out he was registered by the UN and that they were the one who decided to send him to Norway.




Sources: NRK, Aftenposten 1, 2 (Norwegian)

No comments: